Do Gutter Filters Really Work?
If you are tired of cleaning out your gutters all the time, you are probably just about ready to try out any product that will help limit the debris that gets built up in your gutters. Unfortunately not all products work as effectively as each other. If you are considering gutter filters as an option, you are probably asking yourself, do gutter filters work?
And the answer is, yes, they can be effective, but not 100% effective. Gutter filters are made of a foam material and are placed inside your existing gutters. The foam is formed into four-foot long sections and are usually available in up to twelve different gutter sizes and shapes.
How it works is that the water passes through the foam while all leaves and other debris are halted by the top of the foam which is level with the top of the gutter. The debris will then eventually dry off and blow away.
Most gutter filters are made with polyether-polyurethane and is very durable and can last for up to 20 years or so. While it is not 100% effective and you will still have to clean out some debris from your gutters every once in a while, it can reduce your chore load substantially.
There are other products also on the market besides gutter filters that can also help:
- Gutter Screens. There a lot of different types and brands of gutter screens on the market that can help make gutter cleaning easier. Plastic drop-in screens are very easy to installs. They do a good job of keeping out leaves, but you need to be careful because smaller debris like seeds and pine needles can still get into the gutters. Another plus is they can work with a variety of different roofing materials.
- Surface-tension Guards. With these types of gutter covers, the water clings to the rounded nose of the guard and then flows into the gutter. The leaves and other debris however just falls over the edge. For these guards to work best they need to be installed so the slop of the guard matches the slope of the roof. Keep in mind that these guards are more visible than other options.
- Fine Mesh Gutter Guard. Fine mesh gutter guards are better at catching seeds and needle, but some small particles can still get through. These gutter guards are very easy to clean with a brush or warm air. To install all you have to do is install them under the shingles or bend up the back and fastened it to the fascia. Be careful about the type of material the guards are made of. Surgical stainless steel will last the longest for you.
- Leaf Catcher. The leaf catcher is different from screens and guards which keep the debris up at roof level. With the leaf catcher, the debris comes down the downpipe and is caught closer to the ground. You need to use it with 2 ¾ flush mount outlets or K-Funnel outlets. Simple install to your existing downpipes and you will have minimal upkeep. The debris caught in the catcher is easy to remove with your hand. No ladder needed.
Consider The SpoutOff
Another product that can make maintaining your gutter system easier is TheSpoutOff. It is especially helpful if you have small rain gutter outlets because TheSpoutoff outlets are designed with a larger opening allowing for water to still run down even if other parts of the gutter are clogged. Another great plus is that these outlets are easy to keep clean through the removable downspout that allows you to check on the outlets without having to climb a ladder.
With TheSpoutOff, a fear of heights or balance concerns will no longer keep you from properly taking care of your home and it is a lot cheaper than hiring a professional cleaner to come regularly to clear out all the debris.
TheSpoutoff outlets are designed with a larger opening allowing for water to still run down even if other parts of the gutter are clogged. The SpoutOff can be retrofitted to your current gutter system or it can be added to a new one, depending upon your needs.
Here are some ways gutter cleaning is made easier with The SpoutOff:
- These outlets are a lot easier to clean and they don’t get as much debris so you won’t need to check on them as much. Because of the larger openings in the gutter outlets, the water will still be able to keep moving.
- Cheaper than a professional cleaner. If getting up on a ladder and balancing yourself while you try to clean the debris out of your gutter is not safe for you, before your only other option was to hire a professional gutter cleaner to come out and take care of it for you. With The SpoutOff you won’t have to anymore though.
- You can easily install it yourself. The instructions are relatively easy to follow so it is something you can easily install yourself, but any local gutter company can do it for you as well.
- Once The SpoutOff is installed, you won’t need to buy any special tools to use to clean the gutters. A once dreaded chore can become so easy. If the weather is calling for a bad storm and you are worried about your gutters now it will be so easy to check on them. It will only take a few minutes and you can do it safely from the ground.
Other fast facts about The SpoutOff include:
- As long as The SpoutOff outlets are free from debris, your gutter system will work properly even if other parts of the system are clogged. This will mean a lot less maintenance and stress on your part.
- The SpoutOff comes with a large outlet and removable downspout clip that can either be installed with new gutters or retrofitted to the gutter system you already have.
- You can still use covers and shields on your gutters even with The SpoutOff.
Want to learn more about how TheSpoutOff can make your seasonal outdoor chores a lot easier? Contact TheSpoutOff today to learn how it can take the hassle out of cleaning your gutters.